NOTE: "Effective for imported dogs registered on or after March 1, 2006, any imported dog registered with the AKC must have an AKC DNA profile prior to registering its first litter whelped in the United States." As I did with Viljo, I am going to get the DNA profile on Taya now, while I am registering her, instead of waiting months or years to do it.
Okay, so here are the instructions.
To get the DNA profile:
1. Click on the link http://www.akc.org/dna/certify.cfm
2. Click "Order DNA test kits" at the bottom of the page
3. A new page will come up with two products. First one is a prepaid kit for $35. This is the one I ordered. They will send it to me, I will collect the sample with the cheek swab and return it to AKC.
Second option is a kit that AKC will send you for free but then you must submit $40 when you collect the sample and return the kit to AKC.
4. Return the DNA test kit to AKC together with the completed Registration Application, see 1-7 below.
OR you can just do the registration (1-7 below) now and do the DNA profiling another time.
The reason I like to send both together is because "for dogs individually registered at the time the DNA sample is received by the AKC, the DNA Profile Number will be added to that dog's registration record, and will appear on all Registration Certificates and Pedigrees issued in the future." I also just want to get it out of the way.
To do the registration:
1. On the American Kennel Club website, go to the Foreign Dog Registration Application.
2. Print the PDF form and fill it out according to the specific instructions included with the form.
3. You will need to include a check, money order, or charge card information for the processing fee of $50.
4. You will need to include a *photocopy* (not original) of the foreign registration certificate.
5. You will need to include a *photocopy* (not original) of the official pedigree issued by the foreign kennel club.
6. You will need to include two 3x5 color photographs of the dog. See "Required Attachments" on the Registration Application for more specifics on photo requirements.
7. Send the completed application with $50 fee and attachments to The American Kennel Club, PO Box 900058, Raleigh, NC 27675-9058.
I have ordered the DNA test kit and it should arrive in a few days. Then I will collect a sample of skin cells from the inside of Taya's cheek using the swab from the kit which I will send with the registration application and appropriate fees to AKC.